Among other things he held the following positions:
- Federal President of the NJN in 1951
- research assistant, Department socio-economic research
- Executive Board General Affairs Department for the National Plan
- Director RPD ( National Planning Department ), 1967 to 1972
- Director-General for Spatial Planning , Ministry of Housing and Physical Planning , 1972 to 1976
- Secretary General Ministry of Housing and Physical Planning, 1976 to 1978
- Chairman WRR ( Scientific Council for Government Policy ), from 1978 to 1985
- Endowed Professor foresight and policy, Wageningen Agricultural University, from 1982 to 1988
- Chairman SER ( Social and Economic Council ), from 1985 to 1996
- Acting Mayor of Zaanstad , from September 1, 1996 to March 16, 1997
- Chairman Environmental Council, from 1997 to 2001
- Interim Dean of Law Faculty of Leiden University , from 2000 to 2002.
He was appointed a Knight of the Order of the Dutch Lion in 1971 and Grand Officer of the Order of Orange-Nassau in 1996. His Alma Mater , the Wageningen Agricultural University, honored him with an honorary doctorate . In 1971 Quené, was not to be appointed as a member of the self-promoted Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences (KNAW).